|Kranji Racecourse is the only
equestrian race course in Singapore, and is run by the Singapore Turf
Club. The track is named after an indigenous tree, the kranji or keranj,
whose existence is quickly disappearing.
The area of Kranji is a mixture of prime housing neighborhoods, mainly
made up of stand-alone properties and a small industrial area. It isn't
your typical stereographic suburb of Singapore, with soaring apartment
In 1842, a group of racing devotees founded the Singapore Sporting Club,
and the earliest recorded race was held on 23 February 1843, with the
tote for the race totaling a grand sum of $150! While changing its name
to the Singapore Turf Club in 1924 enabled the track to define its role.
During 1842 and 1927, the track was utilized for an assortment of
gatherings and activities, from polo matches to the landing of the first
aeroplane in Singapore, but in 1927, the club sold the property and
invested in a portion of the Bukit Timah Rubber Estate, where the club
moved to in 1933.
As was the case with most horse race tracks worldwide, racing ceased in
1941 during World War II, and began again two years post-war. And in
1960, what was previously privy only to members and owners was now made
available to the community, and the public was finally permitted to
attend race meets.
In August 1999, the Singapore Turf Club relocated the track to its new
and current location at Kranji, and the the President of the Republic of
Singapore, Mr S R Nathan, officially opened the Singapore Racecourse on
4 March 2000, with the first race of the Singapore Airlines
International Cup, followed by the unveiling of one of the world's
biggest outdoor TV screens in May 2007.